Jian-xiong Jiang, Ph.D., Professor
1995.09—2000.09: Ph.D. in Crop Science, Hunan Agricultural University, China;
1991.09—1995.06: B.S. in Horticulture, Hunan Agricultural University, China
2014.03—present: Professor, Biofuels Institute, Jiangsu University, China;
2011.03—2011.10: Visiting Scholar, Plant Gene Expression Center, UC-berkeley, USA;
2010.11—2014.02 Professor, Miscanthus Institute, Hunan Agricultural University, China;
2002.12—2010.10 Associate Professor, Miscanthus Institute, Hunan Agricultural University, China;
2000.10—2003.05: Post-doctor, National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetics & Germplasm Improvement, Nanjing Agricultural University, China.
1. Germplasm evaluation of bioenergy grass crops (Miscanthus, Arundo, Pennisetum, etc.) and exploration of their elite gene resources;
2. Genetic improvement and breeding on biomass yield, salt tolerance ability and lignocellulose degradability for bioenergy grass crops through artificial hybridization, cell engineering and genic engineering.
1. The Miscanthus species distributions were investigated in China, and more than 1,000 accessions of wild germplasms were collected for further research. Morphological characters, fertility, chromosome ploidy, self-incompatibility level of these Miscanthus germplasms were evaluated.
2. The chloroplast genomes of M. sinensis and M. sacchariflorus were sequenced. A set of chloroplast SSR (cpSSR) and nuclear SSR (nSSR) markers were developed and used to evaluate genetic diversity and phylogeny of Miscanthus species and to identify true hybrids out of cross offspring.
3. Extensive natural hybridization events between Miscanthus species were discovered based on morphological and molecular evidences. A strategy for utilizing the interspecific heterosis in Miscanthus was developed, and based on which three elite Miscanthus hybrid cultivars were produced and authorized.
Cultivars and Patents：
1. Cultivar registration: Miscanthus “Xiangnandi-1”, under authorization.
2. Cultivar registration: Miscanthus “Xiangnandi-2”, under authorization.
3. Cultivar registration: Miscanthus hybrid “Xiangzamang-1” (XPD016-2011), Hunan Crop Variety Committee, 2011.05.
4. Cultivar registration: Miscanthus hybrid “Xiangzamang-2” (XPD017-2011), Hunan Crop Variety Committee, 2011.05.
5. Cultivar registration: Miscanthus hybrid “Xiangzamang-3” (XPD018-2011), Hunan Crop Variety Committee, 2011.05.
6. Patent number: ZL 201210080583.4, State Intellectual Property Office of China, 2013.11.
7. Patent number: ZL 201010259544.1, State Intellectual Property Office of China, 2012.03.
8. Patent number: ZL 200910311386.7, State Intellectual Property Office of China, 2012.04.
Invited Conference Talks:
1. Progress and prospects of Miscanthus germplasm researches in China. The Second Annual US-China Advanced Biofuels Forum, Tifton, GA, US. Sept 19th, 2011.
2. Characterization of Miscanthus Germplasms in China—A Basis for Cross Breeding. The Second International Symposium on Bioenergy and Biotechnology in Conjunction with Miscanthus Workshop, Wuhan, Hubei, China. Oct 15th, 2010.
3. Miscanthus Researches in Hunan Agricultural University. China-Singapore Workshop on Bioenergy Crops, Beijing, China, Nov 17th, 2009.
4. Inheritance of self-incompatibility in Miscanthus. Annual Meeting of Hunan Genetics Society, Chenzhou, Hunan, China, Nov 26th, 2011.
Selected Journal Publications:
1. Jianxiong Jiang, Mingdong Zhu, Xin Ai, Liang Xiao, Guote Deng, Zili Yi. 2013. Molecular evidence for a natural diploid hybrid between Miscanthus sinensis (Poaceae) and M. sacchariflorus. Plant Systematics and Evolution, 299: 1-11.
2. Jianxiong Jiang, Zuhong Wang, Bingrong Tang, Liang Xiao, Xin Ai, Zili Yi. 2012. Development of novel chloroplast microsatellite markers for Miscanthus species (Poaceae). American Journal of Botany, 99: e230-233.
3. Chenchen Liu, Liang Xiao, Jianxiong Jiang, Wangxia Wang, Feng Gu, Dongliang Song, Zili Yi, Yongcan Jin, Laigeng Li. 2013. Biomass properties from different Miscanthus species. Food and Energy Security, 2: 12-19.
4. Fengcheng Li, Shuangfeng Ren, Wei Zhang, Zhengdan Xu, Guosheng Xie, Yan Chen, Yuanyuan Tu, Qing Li, Shiguang Zhou, Yu Li, Fen Tu, Lin Liu, Yanting Wang, Jianxiong Jiang, Jingping Qin, Shizhong Li, Qiwei Li, Haichun Jing, Fasong Zhou, Neal Gutterson, Liangcai Peng. 2013. Arabinose substitution degree in xylan positively affects lignocellulose enzymatic digestibility after various NaOH/H2SO4 pretreatments in Miscanthus. Bioresource Technology, 130: 629-637.
5. Ning Xu, Wei Zhang, Shuanfeng Ren, Fei Liu, Chunqiao Zhao, Haofeng Liao, Zhengdan Xu, Jiangfeng Huang, Qing Li, Yuanyuan Tu, Bin Yu, Yanting Wang, Jianxiong Jiang, Jingping Qin, Liangcai Peng. 2012. Hemicelluloses negatively affect lignocellulose crystallinity for high biomass digestibility under NaOH and H2SO4 pretreatments in Miscanthus. Biotechnology for Biofuels, 5: 58-70.
6. Liang Xiao, Jianxiong Jiang, Zili Yi, Xin Ai, Jingping Qin, Shuling Liu, Zhiyong Chen, Cong Lin. 2013. A study on phenotypic diversity in natural Miscanthus sinensis populations in Guangxi, China. Acta Prataculturae Sinia, 22: 43-50.
7. Na Zhou, Zili Yi, Jianxiong Jiang. 2013. Determination of the selecting pressure for genetic transformation of Miscanthus sinensis. Grassland & Turf, 33: 16-20.
8. Yufei Lu, Jianxiong Jiang, Zili Yi. 2013. The protocol for processing the chromosomal images of Miscanthus karyotype analysis using Adobe Photoshop software. Pratacultural Science, 30: 922-926.
9. Yufei Lu, Jianxiong Jiang, Zili Yi. 2013. Optimization of the ISSR-PCR amplification reaction system of Miscanthus from China. Acta Agrestia Sinica, 21: 167-173.
10. Guote Deng, Qingbo Liu, Jianxiong Jiang, Zhiyong Chen, Xin Ai, Liang Xiao, Zili Yi. 2013. Estimation of genome size of Miscanthus floridulus. Journal of Plant Genetic Resources, 14: 339-341.
11. Yuye Zhu, Xin Ai, Jianxiong Jiang, Cuixia Chen, Hao Wen, Chunxia Ge, Wei Long, Zili Yi. 2013. Development and identification of artificial hybrids between Miscanthus floridulus and M. sacchariflorus. Chinese Journal of Grassland, 35: 31-36.
12. Liang Xiao, De Xue, Jianxiong Jiang, Xin Ai, Jingping Qin, Zhiyong Chen, Shuling Liu, Zili Yi. 2013. Genetic diversity in Miscanthus sinensis of China revealed by simple sequence repeats DNA markers. Journal of Plant Genetic Resources, 14: 31-36.
13. Mingdong Zhu, Jianxiong Jiang, Liang Xiao, Xin Ai, Jingping Qin, Zhiyong Chen, Zili Yi. 2012. Natural hybridization between Miscanthus sinensis and M. floridulus revealed by phylogenic analysis using morphological and .Adh1 sequence data. Acta Prataculturae Sinia, 21: 132-137.
14. Yufei Lu, Jianxiong Jiang, Zili Yi. 2012. Study on the transferability of maize SSR and sugarcane EST-SSR markers to Miscanthus (Poaceae). Acta Prataculturae Sinia, 21: 86-95.
15. Yufei Lu, Jianxiong Jiang, Zili Yi. 2012. Observation on the pollen morphology of several Miscanthus taxa (Poaceae). Acta Prataculturae Sinia, 21: 151-158.
16. Yuanjie Zhao, Jianxiong Jiang, Mingxi Liu, Xin Ai, Zili Yi. 2009. Comparison of pollen viability determining methods for Miscanthus sinensis Anderss. Chinese Agricultural Science Bulletin, 25: 147-150.
Address: 301 Xuefu Road, Zhenjiang 212013, Jiangsu province, P. R. China