Yang-Chun Yong, Ph.D., Professor
2009, Ph.D., Biochemical Engineering,
of Science and Technology
2004, B.S., Bioengineering, Huazhong Agricultural University
2012 -Present, Professor,
2010-2012, Research Fellow, Nanyang Technological
2009-2010, Lecturer, Huazhong Agricultural University
Main Research Interests:
1. Electron based biorefinery—eBiorefinery: To Power and Feed the World with Waste! (Microbial fuel cell (extracellular electron transfer mechanism; nanostructured electrode; electrochemical active biofilm); Microbial electrosynthesis (CO2 capture & transformation); Microbial synthesis of functional nanomaterials).
2. Intelligent Microbiology—iMicrobe: To Delight and Reprogram the Life with Microbe! (Intelligent microbe & microbial intelligence).
3. Biosensors (Whole cell biosensors for high-throughput, high sensitive, high selective detection/quantification of pollutants & toxins).
Selected Publications (Highest IF in recent 3 years):
1. Yang-Chun Yong and Jian-Jiang Zhong. 2013. Impacts of Quorum Sensing on Microbial Metabolism and Human Health. Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology. In press. IF: 4.2 DOI: 10.1007/10_2012_138.
2. Yang-Chun Yong, Zhao Cai, Yang-Yang Yu, Peng Chen, Rongrong Jiang, Bin Cao, Jian-Zhong Sun, Jing-Yuan Wang, Hao Song. 2013. Increase of riboflavin biosynthesis underlies enhancement of extracellular electron transfer of Shewanella in alkaline microbial fuel cells. Bioresource Technology. Accepted. IF: 4.98
3. Yang-Chun Yong, Yang-Yang Yu, Yun Yang, Jing Liu, Jing-Yuan Wang, Hao Song. 2013. Enhancement of Extracellular Electron Transfer and Bioelectricity Output by Synthetic Porin. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. In press. DOI:10.1002/bit.24732. IF: 3.9
4. Jing Liu, Yang-Chun Yong (Co-first),Chang-Ming Li, Hao Song. 2012. Activation Enhancement of Citric Acid Cycle to Promote Bioelectrocatalytic Activity of arcA Knockout Escherichia coli Toward High-Performance Microbial Fuel Cell. ACS Catalysis, 2: 1749-1752. IF: ~6.0, estimated.
5. Yang-Chun Yong, Yang-Yang Yu, Yun Yang, Chang-Ming Li, Rongrong Jiang, Xin Wang, Jing-Yuan Wang, Hao Song. 2012. Increasing Intracellular Releasable Electrons Dramatically Enhances Bioelectricity Output in Microbial Fuel Cells. Electrochemistry Communications, 19: 13-16. IF: 4.9
6. Yang-ChunYong, Xiaochen Dong, M. B. Chan-Park, Hao Song, and Peng Chen. 2012. Macroporous and Monolithic Anode Based on Polyaniline Hybridized Three-Dimensional Graphene for High-Performance Microbial Fuel Cells. ACS Nano, 6: 2394-2400. IF: 10.8
7. Yang-Chun Yong, Yang-Yang Yu, Chang-Ming Li, Jian-Jiang Zhong, Hao Song. 2011. Bioelectricity enhancement via overexpression of quorum sensing system in Pseudomonas aeruginosa-inoculated microbial fuel cells. Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 30: 87-92. IF: 5.6
8. Yang-Chun Yong and Jian-Jiang Zhong. 2010. N-Acylated Homoserine Lactones Production and Involvement in Aromatics Biodegradation by An Environmental Isolate of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Process Biochemistry, 45:1944-1948. IF: 2.6
9. Yang-Chun Yong and Jian-Jiang Zhong. 2010. Recent advances in biodegradation in
: New microorganisms and pathways, Biodegradation engineering, and bioenergy from pollutants biodegradation. Process Biochemistry, 45:1937-1943. IF: 2.6
10. Yang-Chun Yong and Jian-Jiang Zhong. 2009. A genetically engineered whole-cell pigment-based bacterial biosensing system for quantification of N-butyryl homoserine lactone quorum sensing signal. Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 25:41-47. IF: 5.6
ZL200910272770.0, 200910272421.9 (pending)